Eye Contact


It wasn’t until she

Bounced

In the seat 

 

Shuffling closer to me

That I noticed her

She spoke & laughed 

But I could only see

& smell the light kiss

Of a scent 

Something not too strong but sweet

Her bright white smile 

And her makeup 

So little

That she looked 

Somewhat neat

 

I was not a mirror image 

As my clothes were 

Thrown on

& I could hardly speak

 

But then she stopped talking

And started smiling

Even harder

Waiting for me to say something 

Anything...

 

Just open my mouth

I could feel my cheeks

Red with heat

 

I could only manage a giggle

Looking down I shook my head

And shouted internally

Was this the best you could do?

 

No wonder she stopped

Talking to you

 

But there is this urgency

Between us

To fill the silence 

The chatter on the train

For once too quiet

 

“I need to get off at the next stop”

I mumble

 

“Ooh haha okay,

I’ll move when we arrive”

 

She looks at me with those

Big beautiful eyes

& I look back

& smile as if to say 

‘I love you’

Or even maybe

‘Thank you’

 

We both fall silent again

She scans me from head to toe

 

“I like your bag”

 

I start to ramble about how

It has the perfect compartment for pens

& we both know that we can’t hear nor care

About what we’re saying

We just want to make eye contact

Through this sexual tension

 

But then the train stops

& so does she

Leaving it till the last minute to move 

From her seat

We exchange an awkward goodbye

 

-   I regret not asking her at least her name

 

You Might Also Like

0 comments